Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Kung Fu Fetus

I have seriously slacked on the updates for the past several months... I blame it partially on pure exhaustion, and partially on the fact that we lost internet access for a while. Mainly on the exhaustion though. For the sake of time and the aforementioned lack of energy, I'm just going to make a list of the highlights from the past few months:






February:


- Valentine's Day... Your Daddy spoiled me rotten and then we went to the cell phone store to change our plan which saved us $100/month!

- We traded in our car for a "Sophie Mobile"... It's a Jeep SUV with plenty of room for you, AND it saved us $100/month!
- Now we can afford diapers!


March:


- Finally hit the third tri-mester! Hellooooo beached whale sensation!

- Daddy and I took a trip (babymoon) to Tennessee so we could have one last getaway before your arrival. We rented a cabin which ended up being cheaper than a hotel room, saw and fed some live bears, went gem mining, and made you a stuffed bunny at a "build-a-bear" type place. We also sat through a timeshare presentation after being promised a nice cash reward for doing so - which paid for half the trip.

April:

- Daddy and I had our 2nd wedding anniversary (4th "dating anniversary") and celebrated by renewing our vows at the same spot where we got married.



- At 32 weeks we got to see you via 3D ultrasound looking like an actual human baby for the first time, complete with chubby cheeks and flowing hair! The most adorable baby ever, if I do say so myself... It looks like you have my nose and cheeks, and your Daddy's mouth and ears.




- Your Aunt Sarah and Uncle Kyle got married!!! You were part of their wedding without even knowing it... ;)



- March/April is tornado season in our neck of the woods, so you've already been through 2 nights of hiding out in the basement. I actually had to take a bucket with me the last time to use as a toilet since my bladder is still your favorite toy.


- I had an episode of false labor (contractions 7 minutes apart for 8 hours straight) at 35 weeks which caused the doctor to put me on partial bedrest. I'm now working from home 2 days a week which does help me cope with everything. At 36 weeks we figured out the constant, severe pain I was having in my lower tummy was actually caused by cartilage tearing since you were growing so much. The doc ordered another ultrasound to check your growth and prescribed a brace for me (which I lovingly nicknamed my "belly bra") to help with the pain. The ultrasound showed you were already weighing in at 7 pounds... Still in the normal range, but at the very high end of it ;) The good news is that your head measured small so I'm hoping you'll be easy to squeeze out!



That pretty much brings us up to date. My birthday was 2 days ago and I was really hoping you would decide to come early and share your birthday with me... But you didn't. You hit 37 weeks yesterday and are now considered full term! Woo hoo!!! That means you're pretty much doing nothing else in there except packing on the pounds - all your systems are developed and you're practicing using them as much as you're able to. Your lungs, for example, are getting lots of practice lately. I can tell because you get the hiccups at least once a day! You're still stretching your muscles too because your activity has become incredibly obvious. You like to play with Daddy at night by kicking his hand in response to him poking you (which he can now not only feel but also see, and he is thrilled about it!)... and sometimes you'll put your tush "in the air" and start bouncing around until I rub/pat it to soothe you. If I stop you just start bouncing again... Little goofball :) Sometimes I swear you're practicing some form of martial arts in there. Just a few days ago you stuck your foot out so far I could actually grab it! Of course you retracted it almost immediately when I did...


We are visiting the doctor once a week now and were really hoping to hear at our 37 week appointment yesterday that labor was starting to progress and you were on your way to meet us soon. Not so much. Instead, we heard, "I'd really like to tell you some good news, but the truth is there is absolutely nothing going on in there! You are not dialated AT ALL." - As if the doctor poking me all over to feel your progress wasn't painful enough, that statement just added salt to the wound. I know you have a few weeks left to make it to the typical 40 week mark, but seeing as I literally can't even get out of bed without rocking back and forth a couple times to gain the momentum to sit up, I was hoping you might follow the family tradition of coming early. It doesn't look like that's going to happen so I'm just trying to "enjoy" (A.K.A. "not cry every night") these last few weeks.


I know God will help us get through this incredibly uncomfortable stage and you'll be here before we know it. Really, I know that. I know it very well since I remind myself of it at least a dozen times a day ;) But whenever you are ready to come out and meet us, we will be here ready and waiting. We have a nice space prepared for you (that Daddy decorated) that I'm sure you'll love. I can't guarantee you'll spend much time in there at first though since my arms will be hogging you, but I promise those are comfortable too...



I love you always!




Love,

Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment